Pilgrim Path

This blog is the work of a seeker and poet. Walking stick in hand, I head out into the world, not of the world, but in the world. My words and my friends carry me along and light the pilgrim path of spiritual journeys.

Friday, May 16, 2008

WORK AND PRAYER

One of the primary principles of monasticism is leading a balanced life of work and prayer. While on retreat at Christ in the Desert Monastery in Abiquiu, New Mexico last week, I took the opportunity to participate fully in the life of the monks by volunteering to work several days in the monastery giftshop. In prior visits, I have done this and found it to be a wonderful, quiet time to read, write and meditate. This year's experience was also wonderful, but in a different way.

Within walking distance of Christ in the Desert Monastery is a women's monastery called Our Lady of the Desert. One of the nuns from that monastery has taken over responsibilities as manager of all aspects of the giftshop. Any of you who have grown up Catholic can probably already see where I am going. This would not be an experience of quietly sitting, reading, writing and meditating. Sister Kateri put me to work. The following little ditty is in tribute to my tough taskmaster.

A SHIFT IN THE MONASTERY GIFTSHOP

Sister Kateri
“Come now, don’t tarry!
Work to be done,
Thy Kingdom come!"


Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is wonderful, Rich. It's good to have you back.

J

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home