Pilgrim Path

This blog is the work of a seeker and poet. Walking stick in hand, I head out into the world, not of the world, but in the world. My words and my friends carry me along and light the pilgrim path of spiritual journeys.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

FOURTH OF JULY

On last night’s steamy Fourth of July,
the window fan spun feverishly
trying to cool the bedroom

but at the same time
sucking in the sulphur fumes of fireworks
that I really struggle with this year.

I've never been fond of fireworks.
Oh, the pretty ones up in the air are fine,
but the heart-rattling, booming ones
whose sole purpose is to shake you to your core
are not my cup of tea.


This year I hear the loud booming
as a mockery of the horror
we’re inflicting on the rest of the world.
We proudly puff up our chests
as we claim to celebrate our freedom.
I pray that most folks,
if they looked deeply in their hearts,
would realize they’re celebrating

our crumbling empire's domination of others
and those sounds they hear are a death rattle.


A friend wrote today that on days like this,
he pretends he’s Canadian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home