Pilgrim Path

This blog is the work of a seeker and poet. Walking stick in hand, I head out into the world, not of the world, but in the world. My words and my friends carry me along and light the pilgrim path of spiritual journeys.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006


BASIL

This poem is late, but more on that
later. A lazy afternoon on the
4th of July. A perfect time to crack
open that brand new book from Amazon.


I take to my bed for a gentle read.
But soon Basil joins me - orange tabby cat,
king of the house, he sits and looks thinking:
"It’s the middle of the day,

don't fall asleep,
we might miss a meal,

what's that in your hand?"

A gentle head nudge reminds me he's there,
just as I reach a new poem. Maybe
he'd like me to read it aloud to him.
I speak the first words and his head gently
turns, eyes meeting mine, he holds a steady
gaze - darshan. Soon, a low purr joins my spoken words
in a co-written soundtrack just for us.

Impatient as always he nudges once more:
"Aren't you done yet,
my throat hurts,
let's eat."

Finished, I set the book aside, content
that we've shared some special time together.
He desperately wants me to put down my arms,
it's a custom of his, to lie on top of my hand,
gently cradling his belly.
The purring returns on his terms, of course.
His message:

"We are One;
but your poem must wait 'til I'm done."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made me chuckle and smile. I could picture what you were describing.

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home