Pilgrim Path

This blog is the work of a seeker and poet. Walking stick in hand, I head out into the world, not of the world, but in the world. My words and my friends carry me along and light the pilgrim path of spiritual journeys.

Monday, November 19, 2007


HEADIN' FOR HOME

Frost-tipped fiery leaves
weave a bold blanket
for Mother Earth, who,
after all, has earned the right
to be a little flashy
after months of neglected
quiet beauty.

Dreaming of my glory days
I imagine resting in red clay fields
traveled by pilgrims on their way
to meet who-knows-who.
I’ve walked that path myself
and been blessed by strangers
who’ve walked with me
and changed my life
in curious and unexpected ways.
But I never thought the easiest walk
I’d ever make would be the one,
I make alone today,
to pick my spot for eternity.
Just give me a tree for shade
in the summer, a trickling stream
to quench the thirst of birds
who stop by to sing my favorite hymns.
Maybe a rosebush nearby
to remind folks of beauty
if they catch a whiff.
And a simple white cross
so they’ll remember where I’m from.

And then, each autumn,
when it’s time to fetch the covers,
I’ll revel in the glory
if those leaves create
a bold blanket for me.
Tonight, as I lay me down to sleep,
I’ll pray I’ve earned it.
poem inspired by photograph taken by
(and used with permission of) James Melnychuk -

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home