Pilgrim Path

This blog is the work of a seeker and poet. Walking stick in hand, I head out into the world, not of the world, but in the world. My words and my friends carry me along and light the pilgrim path of spiritual journeys.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007


HIDDEN ROOM

What if…
on a mid-fall late afternoon
just as the light begins
to fail the day,
you were to take a walk
into a dark wood?

What if…
you heard the last refrains
of a robin's lullaby?
you saw a chipmunk
darting home with a snack
to savor at midnight?
you caught the sweet whiff
of soggy leaves
in the brief moment
before they became rich humus?

What if…
on your walk
you came across
a small wooden cabin,
unlocked door slightly ajar
with a faint glow of moonlight
visible through the keyhole?

What if…
when you walked through that door
and knelt on the floor
you felt the well-worn tracks
where others kneeled
and prayed before?

Would you have any more questions?


poem inspired and photo provided by Christine Valters Paintner

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rich, this poem is stunning. Every stanza my heart kept saying yes, yes, yes, I want to keep going into that dark wood at night and kneel down in that moonlit space. And perhaps my questions would dissolve there. Thanks so much for sharing your poetic gifts!

12:24 PM  
Blogger John said...

To finally arrive in the holy place (a wooden cabin) on bended knee, grateful for the gifts along the way and realizing that there are "questions without answers...but the things that mean the most to me are the memories that I've made along the way."

Homerun, Rich.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Pilgrim Path said...

Thanks Christine and John. I am honored by such beautiful words from 2 such distinguished creators.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home