Pilgrim Path

This blog is the work of a seeker and poet. Walking stick in hand, I head out into the world, not of the world, but in the world. My words and my friends carry me along and light the pilgrim path of spiritual journeys.

Monday, June 19, 2006

MORNING MEDITATION

First light from the morning sun
slowly wrests me from my dream.
I turn to face the freshly lit sun,
and see an eagle soaring to the mountaintop
that rises before me.
Inspired to stand and face the sun
with arms outstretched,
the return of day assures me of God’s love.
I begin my walk to the mountain,
intent to climb before midday heat takes its toll.
Looking to my right,
I see a gently flowing stream
whose surface dances as if covered in small diamonds.
I lower my hands into the water
and scoop a refreshing handful of Nature’s pure nectar
which She generously yields.
A fledgling bird struggles near the creek,
unable to drink.
I dip my hand for another portion
to feed and strengthen him for his first flight.
Finally I take my first steps upward,
unsure at first until I find my grounding.
Ledges provide firm handholds
as I hoist myself past cragged rocks.
Eventually a path emerges.
Wide in spots to let me catch my breath.
Time enough to feel the morning mist
before it lifts its veil.
Continuing on, I hear the rustle of leaves
confident that the holy Spirit is with me once again.
A busy night keeps the snowy owl
from returning to his hidden haven.
A magical sight.
Breathe and movement in perfect unison,
balance in harmony, heart and soul.
Turning yet again,
I squint and make out the shadow
of a lumbering brown bear.
It’s too early for him to move quickly,
so I feel no fear
from this king of the forest.
I watch as other creatures
take their measure of him
with silence, reverence and respect.
The earth yields to his heavy paws,
as he heads off to seek his day’s work.
When will I find mine?

1 Comments:

Blogger brd said...

I like the line, "I dip my hand for another portion"

Nice.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home