Pilgrim Path

This blog is the work of a seeker and poet. Walking stick in hand, I head out into the world, not of the world, but in the world. My words and my friends carry me along and light the pilgrim path of spiritual journeys.

Friday, June 03, 2011

COMPLINE – part one


There is about a quarter-mile oval driveway in front of the Abbey. It’s a favorite walking spot for many retreatants, especially some of the (ahem) older ones due to its nice flat surface. It is also a favorite spot because you are far enough away from the Abbey that at least a softly spoken conversation is possible. While personal talks are possible, telecommunication is decidedly difficult. Fortunately, at the end of the driveway is a rather imposing hill (or knob, as it is known in Kentucky) atop which stands a tall pedestal with a statue of Saint Joseph. Usually a cell phone signal is attainable at some point up the hill.


Since Compline, held at 7:30pm, is followed by the Great Silence (no speaking until morning), this short time after dinner is valuable as an opportunity to a catch up with fellow retreatants and to make some tentative plans for the next day. Gradually, conversation ceases and the Abbey bells begin to ring marking 15 minutes past 7pm. Retreatants who are usually scattered all over the front of the oval driveway and grassy areas begin their deliberate walks back to the church.


Special booklets marked “Compline” are usually sitting on the table behind the area where we sit during the service.  After picking up a booklet, I move to the right side (just a habit), bend at the waist and enter a row and take my seat. The monks usually enter the church one by one, arriving from various locations. A couple of minutes before 7:30pm, the Abbey bells peal as a reminder to those monks who have not yet entered the church. At 7:30pm promptly, Abbot Elias sharply raps a piece of wood at his seat and we all rise to begin the service.


Compline is one of my favorite services of the day. The lighting in the church provides a gentle mood. The words of the hymns are meaningful: 


                              “Before the ending of the day,
                               Creator of the world, we pray
                               That with thy gracious favor thou
                               Wouldst be our Guard and Keeper now.


                               From fears and terrors of the night
                               Defend us, Lord, by thy great might;
                               And when we close our eyes in sleep
                               Let hearts, with Christ, their vigil keep.


                               O Father, this we ask be done
                               Through Jesus Christ, thine only Son,
                               Who, with the Paraclete and thee,
                               Now lives and reigns eternally.”


Wow! It just occurred to me now as I typed this words for the first time ever, how strongly similar the words and intent are to the bedtime prayer my mother taught me and which we recited every night as she tucked me into bed:


                              “Now I lay me down to sleep,
                              I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
                              If I should die, before I wake,
                              I pray the Lord my soul to take.
                              Amen."


I think I just figured out why Compline means so much to me.


(to be continued…)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Alarm Monitoring Dallas said...

Write more, that's all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You clearly know what you're talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?

3:18 AM  
Anonymous Home Security said...

This site is good because they give us a new thing and new ideas and new topic how good all of they are we should appreciate them because of these good thing.

2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home