Pilgrim Path

This blog is the work of a seeker and poet. Walking stick in hand, I head out into the world, not of the world, but in the world. My words and my friends carry me along and light the pilgrim path of spiritual journeys.

Sunday, July 06, 2008

RESTLESSNESS – Pt. 3

The words are easier to string one after another than the thoughts. I’m still not sure where I’m going with this multi-part essay, but I hope you’ll stick with me on the journey. I am, as they say, “leaning into the questions,” perhaps more than I’ve ever done before. Introspection is not for sissies. And this consideration of restlessness is made all the more difficult by my rapidly approaching departure, yet again, for New Mexico and a workshop on Celtic Spirituality (more on that later).

Along the way, Spirit has tossed a few crumbs to nourish my weary soul and hopefully lead me down right paths. Witness:

Does discovering who you are awaken a kind of inner unrest?...If you
started accusing yourself of all that is in you, would your nights and
days be long enough?
Brother Roger of Taizé, Essential Writings

I have discovered that all the unhappiness of men arises from one single
fact, that they cannot stay quietly in their own chamber.
- Blaise Pascal, Pensées

It is no easy task to walk this earth and find peace. Inside of us, it would
seem, something is at odds with the very rhythm of things and we are
forever restless, dissatisfied, frustrated and aching. We are so overcharged
with desire that it is hard to come to simple rest. Desire is always stronger
than satisfaction.
Ronald Rolheiser, The Holy Longing

These quotations aren’t making the process any easier.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home