Pilgrim Path

This blog is the work of a seeker and poet. Walking stick in hand, I head out into the world, not of the world, but in the world. My words and my friends carry me along and light the pilgrim path of spiritual journeys.

Sunday, January 27, 2008


HOLY ENCOUNTER

"O Lord, you have seduced me,
and I was seduced."
(Jeremiah 20:7)

He briskly entered through a double door,
an imposing height softened by watery eyes
the result of the arctic chill. A Russian lambswool hat
added to the effect, set off by stark white hair
and a full white beard. My jaw slightly dropped
as I took full measure of his Biblical countenance.

Later, at dinner, I sneaked a peek or two,
noting that mere mortal food sated his appetite.
An easy manner with others brought a bright smile
to his face and a gentle laugh deep from his heart.
And so I knew with time I'd share some holy words.


We gathered in a sacred circle, men devoted to men,
committed to honest conversation and concern.
For a moment, I was unaware of his presence.
Softly, I felt his hands from behind upon my shoulders
and his face near my own right ear. Just as gently
I heard the words I'd longed for decades to hear,
"Son, take my hand. Let's go for a walk."

In an instant, warm healing began to spread within.
I slowly turned to face this ancient physician of the soul
who welcomed me with open arms. He firmly grasped
my head in one large hand and placed it on his chest.
With the other, he gathered me into the glory of his soul
where I rested, safely at home, for the first time in my life.

I am truly blessed. Amen.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home