Pilgrim Path

This blog is the work of a seeker and poet. Walking stick in hand, I head out into the world, not of the world, but in the world. My words and my friends carry me along and light the pilgrim path of spiritual journeys.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

CORRECTION: Before I continue, I need to correct an entry from yesterday’s post. Late last night, Todd Truffin reminded me that he was NOT the source of the reference to my purchase of ‘Emmaus” as being appropriate. This prompting reminded me that it was, in fact, my friend Kathy from Corpus Christi who made note of that fact. Sorry, Todd and Kathy!

A POETRY BREAK – PART 2

In yesterday’s posting I made a passing reference to my dear friend, John. That is an extreme slight that I need to correct today. I met John at last year’s Glen Workshop. As the only other male participant in the Spiritual Writing class, there was an immediate bond forged. But, as the week progressed, John and I discovered kindred souls in each other. We have remained in steady e-mail contact throughout the past year despite many miles of separation. John is a former Baptist preacher. That, and his big, wild hair and beard have caused me to refer to him often as John the Baptist. On MANY levels, this is only fitting and proper. But, the most important reason to honor him with this appellation is his preacher eye. While Kathy noted the appropriateness of my winning bid on “Emmaus,” it was John the Baptist who “fleshed out” the grace behind this purchase.

A little background: I am a seeker discontent with my current half-hearted response to God’s call. In many conversations with close friends, I refer to my job as having the “golden handcuffs” on me. The salary is good and finances a number of wonderful journeys deeper into my soul and out into the world.

It seems I am “called” to do more, but lack the direction and courage to make a change to live a life consistent with my heart’s and God’s desire. Over the last few years, a number of significant occurrences have taken place to convince me that, while I have not yet arrived at the final destination, I am traveling on the right path.

The story of the silent auction, the switch in engravings bid upon and my request for John the Baptist’s exegesis of it, confirms my movement along this path. Italicized portions below represent JtB’s words.

Let's proceed by saying that art imitates life. Although Paul in prison may have initially attracted you, you're not imprisoned, Rich - you're free… and becoming even more free...You made a wise switch.Moses' death? Moses' death represents the end of an era, the end of established leadership, ways of thinking and doing things, and even actual leaders. You've come to that point. You're no longer to look for… Moses…(in) of this world. It's time for you to step out and lead, Joshua-like, into what lies ahead …press on into the promised land.And what does that land look like? Well, getting there looks a lot like the road to Emmaus. A road that seems deserted, scary and maybe even lonely, but the presence of the risen Christ is right there beside you for the ride… Where does the road lead? That's not the question. The question is, "Are you willing to walk it?" And, "are you willing to bid and be outbid along the way?"

Moments of grace. A few months ago, I asked John the question: “How much grace can one stand?” I think I can answer that question with full understanding now: The supply is limited only by our ability to recognize grace when it happens.

I am truly blessed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home