Pilgrim Path

This blog is the work of a seeker and poet. Walking stick in hand, I head out into the world, not of the world, but in the world. My words and my friends carry me along and light the pilgrim path of spiritual journeys.

Thursday, October 30, 2008


ANCESTORS

Grief long past, only memories stir,
enhanced as I sit before a mirror.
My pale blue eyes, a heritage,
along with paler skin. Visions
of dark waves, an immigrant ship,
crossing wide miles carrying
a mother, father and two sons.
Buffeted by waves and fears,
comforted by dreams and hopes,
promises of a new land.
War was over, a chance to start anew.
Searching for familiar faces,
open arms of welcome;
a man’s feet began to dance,
a woman’s cackling laugh erupted.
A joyful warm reunion
on foreign soil that became
an eternal place to slumber,
while a bright blue bird bids
them rest with a lullaby.

(Poem inspired by photograph taken by and used with kind permission
of Christine Valters Paintner - be sure to visit Christine's Poetry Parties at

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Rich, this is simply beautiful. I love the image of the man dancing, making his imprint on the new soil, as the bluebird of happiness sings nearby...

This one was worth the wait.

Yes, amen indeed.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes Rich, I agree completely with john, those images stood out for me too, just beautiful. Thanks for the contribution!

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home